Monday, August 22, 2005

Everything Will Be Alright: 3 Reasons

What's wrong: Dissertation due in 4 days and I'm thorougly fucked. On the other hand...

1. The other morning at 7 a.m., walking the Meadows in a cloud of despondency after working on my dissertation all night, I started to cry. As soon as the tear fell, I felt one sweet raindrop on my arm. The sprinkles continued for just about as long as I was teary. I took this event as a sign, a good omen if you will. Now one interpretation could be that God joined in and was crying for me, because he too believed I was fucked. Two problems with this claim: 1. don’t believe in God and 2. what oracle is bad, I mean in real life? You could be thinking that if I don’t believe in God then how, pray you, would I believe in oracles? Well, my friends, that’s the power of faith; you can choose what you want to believe, and it supersedes all propositional logic. Therefore, I believe it was a good omen.

2. At my ‘business lunch’ of me sitting at a restaurant working on my dissertation, Like A Prayer by Jon Bon Jovi came on the loudspeaker. What kind of sign is that, you ask? Well, a short while back during a warrior-like attack on my paper and reaching the half-way point in word count, all I could do was scream at the top of my lungs, “Ah OH! We're half way the-re… OH! AWWW! (insert Jon Bon rockstar scream) Livin' on a prayer. Take my hand and we'll make it I swear… livin' on a prayer.”

3. Just now, the clock struck 2:22, and naturally, I made a wish for *something* (can’t say what it is). But that’s not all. Today I also happened to catch the wishmaking opportunity at 22:22 as well!! You see, the power is *incomprehensible* when you catch the same numbers twice in the same day. Therefore, my wish should come true.

In sum, I have reasonless faith, even more reasonless superstition dealing with digital clocks, and Jon Bon by my side. Yes, everything will be alright.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For years, I have always noticed that certain songs play on the radio just when I need them too. And I always seem to look at the clock when it shows prime numbers. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I prefer to think of it as apophenia, seeing patterns where there are none, rather than faith.

8/23/2005 7:20 PM  
Blogger Amity said...

Yes! I like that concept of apophenia (and that I've learned a new word). How'd you make it over here, if I may ask? Always curious when there's no obvious link this blog... :-)

8/23/2005 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earlier this summer I was doing a broad search related to embodiment and connectionism and people who have written about those topics. I found your post about when you first met Andy Clark. I remember the enthusiasm and energy you communicated in that post. I immediately made a link to your site so I would remember to come back and read it from time to time (which I have!).

You never need to find your audience. Your audience will find you.

8/23/2005 9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, leuke site! Bon Jovi wil ik altijd wel horen, misschien een idee voor de karaoke?
En nog een vraag. Waarom neem je jezus mee als je niet geloofd? Of lees ik dat nu verkeerd?

Wow, awsome site! I can 'always' hear Bon Jovi, maybe an idea for karaoke?
And I've an question. Why do you take Jezus with you, if you don't believe in him? Or dit I take that wrong?

Love,

Martin

10/09/2005 5:51 AM  
Blogger Amity said...

Hey!! So lovely to see you made it this way! You did Brian Adams karaoke, so I definitely think Jon Bon would be right up there for you. No, don't so much believe in the Lord Our Saviour Jesus Christ, and it is for that precise reason that I can be so blasphemous and have a dashboard action figure jebus. (and call him 'jebus'). I'm heading to your site soon...

10/14/2005 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home